Friday, March 3, 2017

Champing - Camping in Churches

Talk about learning something new every day!  I just stumbled upon 'champing' -  camping in churches.  It seems to be a UK thing that apparently 'took the world by storm in 2015' and is THE holiday trend for 2017.  At least according to the people trying to sell it.

I know from travelling to Britain that there are many unused old churches.  There are places, especially in Scotland, with more churches turned into pubs and flats than actual churches.

So, some enterprising soul looked at all of these ancient and empty churches and took the leap from 'glamping' to 'champing'.  Ahem (as opposed to amen)...








So, I can only speak from my own personal experience, and I would have to say that while there may be people who could romp about and then snuggle in for a good night's sleep in a church, they're not Catholic.

As a matter of fact, my computer froze when I was trying to add these images and I take that as a sign from you-know-who to stop all this foolishness and frivolity...

xoxoMary


10 comments:

kjsutcliffe artist said...

What a good idea!

Colette said...

Ha! Although I am no longer a practicing Catholic, I was raised Catholic (pre-Vatican II) and the whole time I was looking at your pictures I was thinking "I hope the church was unconsecrated first."

Rebecca said...

How unusual......

Babylon Sisters said...

Me too, Colette, and exactly what I was thinking!

Babylon Sisters said...

It is Rebecca. I guess the internet is really good for finding things I certainly didn't know about. Still not making any reservations though...

Carol S. said...

I thought the same thing as Colette and you, Mary!
Though I have to admit, it is nice that these buildings weren't torn down.
and better than turning them into bars.
:)

Babylon Sisters said...

That's a really good point Carol, it would be a shame to tear them down. I guess looking for useful solutions is the way to go!

Bohemian said...

I'm very conflicted about it actually... on the one hand not respecting the space as Sacred Ground bothers me. On the other hand, too many Wonderful Historic Churches are being Lost and razed if not put into alternative use and I would absolutely Hate to see such Magnificence destroyed. So... perhaps to God, having someone come to spend the Night at His House is preferable and shows more Respect than tearing His House down, which to me IS sacrilege! Thanks for sharing this, I had no idea this was a 'Thing' Trending. Dawn... The Bohemian

Tilda said...

Holy crap I love this idea!!!

I once camped in a graveyard in Scotland. I actually didn't know it was a graveyard until the next day. The night before the locals had waved us over to a green and said we could set our tents up there---it was dark, and when I got up the next morning the first clue it was a graveyard was a big sign that said there was going to be a funeral there at 10 am. I never packed my crap up so fast in my life :)

Andrea said...

Wow.I think I'd feel like I was hiding there in a post apocalyptic zombie/alien movie kind of way.Not sure if that's a good thing or not.Very interesting