Tuesday, November 3, 2015

La Mer Update and Some Drug Store Product Fails

Here's a perfect example of why I need to 'journal' the things I've learned so I don't keep making the same mistakes...

la mer

I've been using the La Mer soft cream for a few years.  Don't scoff until you hear me out.  I do not in any way expect it to make me look younger.  No 'reducing the appearance of fine lines' or any of that silliness.  All I'm going for is a comforting level of moisturizing that makes my skin maybe look not like an alligator.  That's it.

La Mer is perfect for my skin.  I love it.  So, why then don't I have any right now?  Because I'm of Scottish ancestry, that's why.  We're known to be 'frugal'.   The price kind of slays me.  

So, as I have done in the past, I set out to find a cheaper alternative...

mad hippie

I wanted to love the Mad Hippie products just for the name.  I just didn't though.  Using any of it even once made my skin irritated and break out.

mature skin care

Olay gets so much hype.  Life would be wonderful if I loved their products.  They're everywhere, they're inexpensive, they promise great things.  I just don't like Olay creams.  Not hate.  Just don't like.  At all.

mature skin care

The other drug store brand I thought there might be hope for was L'Oreal so I bought this.  Glow renewal?  Yes, please.  I thought the added sunscreen was a great idea too.  I was wrong.  The sunscreen got in my eyes and felt burning for the whole day.  Fail.

mature skin care

Which brings us to yesterday's eye disaster.  I found this oil at Target and thought it would be just the thing.  Why fool around with cream when you can go all the way with oil?  I thought it would be moisturizing madness - in a good way.

No.  It did feed great to apply, as oil would on 'mature skin'.  However, a little while later I started noticing my glasses were really blurry.  You know where this is going don't you?  Well, it wasn't my glasses.  I had gotten the oil in my eyes and couldn't see.  Which is a real problem when you're at the thrift stores and need eagle eyes to find the bargains...

eagle eyes

PLUS, my mascara was all over the place.  I know some might think I could just not be an idiot and keep it away from my eyes but my eyes are kind of the point and I'm just not fussy enough to have a separate eye cream and be that careful.  

runny mascara

My conclusion about this facial oil yesterday was that I did like it so I could just use it at night when it wouldn't matter about my eyes.  No.  Two red sore spots today.  Gross.

I'm embarrassed to say when I checked my cupboard there are even more creams and potions in there that I didn't like...

SO, the Scottish side of me is absolutely cringing at this 'false economy', as my husband calls it.  I definitely spent MORE and have a bunch of junk to go in the landfill to show for it.  Lesson learned.

Quelle horreur! (and off to Saks)
xoxoMary

3 comments:

Insomniac's Attic said...

My Scottish side definitely comes out concerning skin care products, too. I've tried making my own lately ... so far with limited success. Maybe I should try La Mer? Should I be sitting down when I check to see how much that'll cost me? LOL

Babylon Sisters said...

The smallest size - 1 oz. - of soft cream is around $160. It's much easier to use than the traditional creme de la mer which is super thick and requires you to kind of melt it in your hands first. You use a very small amount of the soft cream with a little applicator they give you so it lasts a long time. Also, la mer is famous for giving samples - usually at least 3 or 4 in nice sizes so that really helps...

gajismarts said...

I am so happy to see your blog and this is best share: La Mer cheaper alternatives