Monday, November 2, 2015

5 Easy Weekday Meatless Meals Using Meat Substitutes

I love to cook.  I love to make elaborate, time-consuming recipes.  Weekday nights are not the time to do this.  When our grandchildren are here we're just too busy...

I'm vegetarian and just fine with an all veggie meal. My husband is English so he's a meat and potatoes kind of guy.  Our compromise at home is usually some kind of meat substitute.  We've tried quite a few and some are definitely better than others.

Here are five of my easy vegetarian suppers - using meat substitutes that don't suck...

meatless meals

I put this one first because it's seasonal and we're obsessed with it.  You have to be sure and not overcook the turk'y so it doesn't dry out - easy peasy in the toaster oven. 

You should make a green vegetable on the side.  I often don't and don't feel guilty about it either.

The gravy is heaven.  Make some mashed potatoes and don't fight - the gravy is in two packets so you know what's yours...

meatless meals

Sometimes it's fun to make a breakfasty type of supper.  These sausage patties are yummy with white gravy ( a southern thing), grits, fried potatoes, eggs...


meatless meals

Now, I know everybody's mad at Quorn.  We don't have any food allergies though and the articles I did find against it recommended that you eat real meat instead.  Hmmm.

A simple stir fry with veggies, chik'n tenders and soy sauce over rice totally works for us.

meatless meals

If you want to get fancy, and who doesn't, saute your Quorn nuggets with onions, garlic and carrots.  Add this gorgeous korma sauce.  Serve over rice with naan bread on the side and whichever Indian condiments you prefer.  In our case, that's all of them.  Mango chutney, lime pickle, coriander chutney - we're fools for condiments.

meatless meals

If you're cooking meatless, ground meat substitutes are your friend.  While I'm not in the business of fooling anyone with my cooking, you sure could with this.

Make your favorite chili recipe.  Use 'meatless grounds'.

Make tacos.  Use 'meatless grounds'.

You're welcome.

meatlss meals

Another not beef that we love is Gardein meatless meatloaf.  Your potatoes and 2 veg works perfectly here too - again yummy gravy is included.

The only thing I would warn about this one is that a 'portion' is two slices which I just can't get through.  It's kind of huge but I guess if you're a hungry farm hand (or my husband) you can finish it.

Happy Meatless Monday!
xoxoMary


8 comments:

Carol said...

Hello Mary:
Oooh I never thought about meatless meatloaf!
Since the husband is the cook, I'll have to suggest that for us.

Babylon Sisters said...

I've made some pretty successful meatless meatloaf from scratch using lentils, nuts, etc.
Thanks so much for commenting Carol!

Carol said...

One of our favorite and go-to comfort meatless meals (and I actually make it!) is a crock pot meal called Moroccan Lentil Stew - lentils, potatoes, tomatoes, butternut squash, onions, green beans, and of course spices. In fact, I just made it a few days ago. Yum! OKay I need to eat breakfast - all this food talk is making me hungry! :)

Rebecca said...

IN-ter-est-ing..... We're not meatless over here. Yet.
But I use about 3/4 less meat in any recipe than is called for and consider stand-alone-meat as the "side" rather than the main thing.
For our meal today, I added some left-over chili (made with minimal meat) into left-over (and meatless) bean dip from yesterday. Already I know it's gonna be great!

Babylon Sisters said...

Yum - great ideas!

Michele Wilde said...

I just discovered Quorn and am very happy with it. I found it at Whole Foods. Today I will look for Garden. But I want to watch out for soy products because of GMOs. Thanks for the tips.

Babylon Sisters said...

I don't have any right now but I'll have to check if Gardein is non-gmo. Wouldn't it be nice to live in a country where we didn't have to worry about that? I really hope the US gets with it and gets rid of gmo foods...

Babylon Sisters said...

Gardein's website says non-GMO soy - yeah!