Sunday, July 26, 2015

Dream Design for House in Cape Breton

Our family still owns the old farm house and land in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia where my mother and her family were born.  It's a sweet and charming old house where I spent all of the happiest times of my childhood so it's very special to me.  This morning I happened upon Vibeke Design and I'm IN LOVE with these images...


Although it's actually Scandinavian style, it's perfect for the old house.  Old bottles? Check.  Seashells? Check.  Queen Anne's lace?  Check.


We've got the bead board and the wood floors - I see fresh white paint everywhere.


This is the first photo I fell in love with.  Perfect for the living room!


Old rocking chairs - we've got 'em!


My sister has a complete - and I mean complete - set of these dishes.  Now to figure out how to get all 100 lbs. of them there...


A beautiful seat for my beautiful aunt in the yard.  I'm afraid it would go quite unused though as she never sits down.

I tried to show my husband these pictures and I think he rolled his eyes just a teeny bit.  I guess we're really not at the design phase of the project since there's the (not so) small matter of the whole house falling into the ground and some other 200 year old problems which are going to require some mega-money to fix...

Oh well, I can dream (and badger my husband to get things fixed)...

We're headed to Cape Breton next week for the month of August.
Can't wait!
xoxoMary

6 comments:

Big Rory Road Creative Thrifty Living said...

All the Decorating ideas in the photo's are perfect for the Old House. They easily would blend in with everything Auntie has killed herself for years taking care of. I love the idea of the Garden Chair for her. She will love to look at it too! lol I always want to skip the huge amounts of money to fix stuff in my 1854 Cottage. But my brother's always bring me back down to earth and remind me that the floors are rotting and the skylight is leaking. "But after that. sure you can paint the bathroom a Pale Sea Glass Blue with lots of Shiny Decor to match." You will love it more after you guys spend a fortune fixing it, at least you know it is done right and then on to the Sea Glass Blues and Greens and Pink Dishes!

Babylon Sisters said...

I know. I realize it has to be all the boring stuff first if the old house is going to make it...

JoKnows said...

You are right - that look is so perfect for the living room! And I love lots of white! I'm so jealous you are going to be enjoying my favourite area for all of August! Have fun!

Babylon Sisters said...

Thanks! Your cottage vacation photos are beautiful - I'll try to get some good ones when I'm in Cape Breton.

Carol said...

I love love that white cottage look - I am thinking of doing that to our back porch once we have moved everything that is being stored on it now. Gorgeous! And cannot wait to see what you do with the place.

Babylon Sisters said...

I'm there the first week with no kids so hoping to get some decorating projects done. I'll take pictures for sure!