Monday, May 19, 2014

Summer Salsa

Remember that crazy 90's country song "God Bless Texas"?  Well, here in Texas, we're all about "God Bless Mexico".  We have AWESOME Mexican culture - not the least of which is a really good Mexican restaurant pretty much anywhere you are...


Our neighborhood favorite is El Matador.  Delicious food and close enough for us to walk - which you must if you have one of their fabulous margaritas...

Once a week, at least, we have nacho night at home.  I make all of our accompaniments from scratch - the salsa, the guacamole, etc.  Lately, I'm making fresh fruit salsas to take advantage of the in-season strawberries and mangoes.  Here's how...


I  chopped up some strawberries I got today from our Greenling local and organic veggie delivery.  Our first day so I'll let you know how it goes.  That potato looking thing is a mango.  A little yellow mango.  They're grown in Mexico and SO good.  Peel and chop... the pit in the middle is a little hard to deal with - Google it if you're not sure...


Add about 1/4 of a red onion, diced, and a handful of chopped cilantro.  You also need some jalapenos - fresh or from the jar - chopped fine - it depends how hot you like it...


Now, squeeze lots of fresh lemon or lime juice over it and add some salt and pepper.  If you've used fresh jalapenos the citrus juice will magically get rid of the jalapeno on your hands before you forget and rub your eyes with your contacts in..

Adios!

3 comments:

Carol said...

Sounds delicious! I have always meant to make a fruit salsa - you have inspired me.

JoKnows said...

Looks yummy! I have never made a fruit salsa. I'll have to try it. :)

Babylon Sisters said...

kiwi fruit is really good too...