Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Irish Pasta

My husband and I always celebrate St. Patrick's Day at home.  The pubs in our area are jam-packed that day with mainly "the amateurs", as my sister calls them - people who don't usually drink and should probably keep it that way.


So, we stay home, listen to the Pogues and make Irish Pasta.


Here's how to make it -

Peel potatoes and cut into small chunks - start cooking them in boiling water.  After a few minutes add some whole wheat penne pasta to the potatoes.  After a few more minutes add some cut-up cabbage. Drain when it's all cooked.

At this point you can either return the mixture to the pot and add cut-up fontina cheese, some butter and some sage or you could make a proper cheese sauce separately and add that.  The fontina cheese melts very well so the easy way is fine.

This time I made a cheese sauce and put it in the oven.  The sage is crucial - it's SO good.


I'm fine with just pasta - my husband has his with fish nuggets from Trader Joe's. 

Slainte!

No comments: