Friday, May 3, 2013

La Fee Verte


Absinthe is an anise-flavoured spirit derived from botanicals,including the flowers and leaves of Artemisia absinthium a.k.a. grand wormwood, together with green anise,sweet fennel,and other medicinal and culinary herbs.Absinthe traditionally has a natural green colour but may also be colourless. It is commonly referred to as la fée verte (the green fairy).Sometimes mistakenly referred to as a liqueur,absinthe is not traditionally bottled with added sugar,and is therefore classified as a spirit.


We recently discovered these beautiful absinthe fountains on Pinterest.


I had no idea such a thing existed.  Absinthe is so romanticized...


I've never tried it.  I've heard it tastes awful and I'm kind of scared of it.


Not sure I'd want that green fairy hanging around...


The fountains are gorgeous though and I'd love to have one!  




This one was described as fun for the holidays or a wedding.  These people have a lot more nerve than I do.


An absinthe depot in Berlin.  Cool.

I think absinthe is one of those fantasy versus reality type of things...


Fantasy.


Reality.


Now, this I could handle.  I wonder if I could get one of those fountains for it...


3 comments:

Dina@VintageAdvantage said...

What a fun post! I've been off & on fascinated with absinthe for the longest time. You're right in how romanticised it is! Those fountains, plus all the other trappings are son beautiful, plus the ritualistic aspect of the way it was served is so appealing. I've never had the nerve to try it, just because it's supposed to taste awful, bitter and like licorice, which I hate. No need to be afraid of hallucinogenic effects, though, because all the absinthe available in the US is devoid of the wormwood ingredient that causes the effect. Wormwood is illegal in the US, I think.

Babylon Sisters said...

I've heard they have some absinthe in New Orleans close to the real thing...
we once had the nerve to order some in Europe but they were sold out - good, I think!

Dede said...

Those absinthe fountains are so AWESOME!