Friday, December 21, 2012

Christmas Traditions

A few of my favorite things for Christmas -

 
Our family loves layered shrimp dip for special occasions.  We'll have this Christmas Eve at my daughter's house so she can tuck the little kids in and read "The Night Before Christmas".  We ALL believe in Santa!
 
 
Turkey dinner.  Yes, even though I haven't eaten meat in YEARS, I still cook a traditional turkey dinner for my family.  They have humored me in the past and had the vegan dinner ordered from Whole Foods.  Now, I keep some of my mother's fantastic stuffing recipe out of the turkey and make some vegetarian Bisto for our friend Nate and I to have with our gorgeous veggies and everyone's happy.
 
 
Board games.  We've had hilarious hours of Trivial Pursuit and epic battles of Monopoly.  Our current favorite is "Cranium".
 
 
A jigsaw puzzle for everyone to take shifts at until we get it.  Quiet fun...
 
 
Christmas music.  Full on.  Nothing is too corny - we embrace corny!
 
 
Christmas cards.  My husband is from England and I'm from Nova Scotia so we send (and are happy to receive) lots of holiday mail.
 
 
Chocolate mint squares.  If you don't like them, that's fine.  More for those of us who do...
 
 
Gratitude.
 
“In the end, though, maybe we must all give up trying to pay back the people in this world who sustain our lives. In the end, maybe it's wiser to surrender before the miraculous scope of human generosity and to just keep saying thank you, forever and sincerely, for as long as we have voices.”
Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia
 
 

2 comments:

JoKnows said...

Looks like we are enjoying some of the same pursuits this holiday season. Mom makes the turkey though. I only prepared meat once in my life and that turned me vegetarian. ;) I am trying a Gardein vegan roast this year, along with the usual veggie sides.

Thanks so much for your kind comment on my blog. I am really excited that we have this new way to keep in touch! Have a wonderful Christmas with your family!

Linda said...

Wonderful traditions!!! Have a wonderful peaceful holiday....
XO