Friday, December 28, 2012

And Now For Something Completely Different...




I usually have a Quorn roast vegetarian option at Christmas.  This year we tried this one and really liked it.  However, if you're finally tired of turkey, or turk'y, in my case, here are some ideas...


Tonight we're having P.F. Chang's vegetarian lettuce wraps. Yummy tofu goodness! We are ordering them from the restaurant since we have one nearby but you can find a recipe to make them here.


P.F. Chang's also has brussel sprouts that are crazy-good. Yes, you do like brussel sprouts. Trust me.

 

I know you'd never buy prepared noodles from a package - make these spicy Thai noodles.


I'm also going to make some vegetarian hot and sour soup.  I love soup on a chilly night!  We're on an Asian theme tonight but...
 My absolute favorite that we have often and never seem to get tired of is an old-fashioned vegetable soup.


It's from this little book I got in Scotland.  Called, in an unassuming Scottish fashion, 'Vegetable Broth', it's delicious!  Try this...

Melt 1oz of butter in a large-ish pot.  Earth Balance works great.  Add 1 diced carrot, 1 diced onion, 1 small diced turnip, 1 chopped leek and 1 chopped celery stick.  Cover and allow to sweat gently, shaking the pan to make sure the veggies are well coated with the butter.  After 5 or 6 minutes pour in 1.5 pints of vegetable stock.  Simmer for a bit and then add some barley - maybe 1/4 of a cup.  Cook until the barley is soft. Season with lots of salt and pepper.  Serve with some fantastic bread.  Perfect!


2 comments:

JoKnows said...

Everything sounds and looks so delicious. I would love to try one of those wraps! We very much enjoyed our Gardein roast this year. I would have it again. My husband also likes tofu loaf, but I was getting tired of it. Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

Bohemian said...

All of my Vegetarian Friends are so Svelte that I've thought of going Vegetarian for the New Year... but I'm such a Carnivore that I don't think it will work out for me. *Winks* But all of those tasty options do sound tempting... and would Save a Turkey... which sounds noble, except that perhaps someone else would choose to eat him instead?!

Happy New Year from the Arizona Desert... Dawn... The Bohemian