Saturday, November 24, 2012

Delicious Homemade Soup


Usually, when my husband is away, I live on Weight Watchers frozen dinners.  Mostly mac and cheese but sometimes vegetable lasagna if I'm feeling more festive.  I know, isn't that awful?  A feast of chemicals.  So, inspired by my cousin JoAnne's yummy vegetarian cooking at Woman in Real Life, I thought I'd put (a bit) of effort into it.


I'm obsessed with orzo so I made a tomato, spinach and orzo soup.  I love how it turned out!


The first thing I did was saute a couple of leeks in a bit of oil.  Aren't leeks gorgeous?  


Then I painstakingly removed the stems and cut up fresh spinach in lovely little ribbons.  You could just throw it in but you could also have been raised by wolves.  It's your call.


Now put in a can of diced tomatoes.


Now, add a can of Rotel tomatoes because, here in the South, we're not really capable of making anything without Rotel tomatoes.


Add one of those cute cartons of vegetable broth.  Make it organic, make it low sodium, make it homemade if you're a show-off...



Mix it up and add some orzo.  This is the type that I had.  I put in maybe half a cup.  Get it to a boil and then turn it down and cook it  more gently for about 8 or 10 minutes. The only thing I added was some pepper - freshly ground, but you know that.  At this point you will probably start tasting it and then be pretty much full before it ever leaves the pot.  That's ok because I'm sure it will be even better tomorrow...


Oh, and p.s., my assistant in the first photo is a talking Remy, the "Little Chef" from Ratatouille.  I pretty much stole him from the kids because I LOVE the movie.



4 comments:

About Moi said...

This is awesome...I'm totally making this tonight!

JoKnows said...

Ah, that is so sweet. Thank you! I am glad I provided some small inspiration! And the soup looks delicious!! I like your little assistant too. How did we end up eating vegetarian with the family we came from?

Babylon Sisters said...

We're probably lucky to be able to consume ANYTHING other than toast and tea! Lots of days I can't...

JoKnows said...

That makes sense! Now I have a good excuse when I don't feel like cooking. ;)