Saturday, June 9, 2012

HIPPIE ESSENTIALS

Love the posts about hippie/bohemian decorating at Gypsy YaYa and Trailer Park Gypsy.  Here are a few more things that were essential in the hippie household - and some that still are in mine...


The Last Whole Earth Catalog.  "We can't put it together.  It is together."


Wind chimes.


Glass jars in the kitchen.  Useful for holding food bought from funky "health food" stores.


Maybe you had to have been in Nova Scotia for this one - wood stoves.  We had them for heat and for cooking in our rented farms or handmade hippie houses.


BIG stereos.  Huge speakers.  Lots of vinyl records in plastic milk crates.


Oil lamps.


Homemade bread.  Always.


Batik.


Well, yeah, that too...





5 comments:

Linda said...

Ah Memories...I am looking for the catalog to have again...lost mine...I wish I had brought my cook stove with me from the north...I miss it...hubby promised we would get another for me...
Hand me a square please..LOL....

Wonderful post...brought back some good thoughts <3

Babylon Sisters said...

It seemed like food cooked on the wood stove was just so much better - but maybe that was the brownies!

Michele Wilde said...

A little late for commenting, 2014 not 2012, but oh wow this post is FAB! I used to make my bread in coffee cans! Quart jars of yogurt stuffed at the bottom of the sleeping bag for the proper temperature. And, of course, homemade granola!! Now, bread in a gas oven (gasp), yogurt machine that plugs in an uses electricity (gasp) and still good ol' handmade granola!

Babylon Sisters said...

Ha,ha forgot about the homemade yogurt! Think I'll go start a jar of alfalfa sprouts...

Beth Waltz said...

Oh, yes, the stench of sprouts gone wrong in the cabinet -- always the mung beans, never the alfalfa.

Still have my Whole Earth Catalog. And the jar with the mesh lid for sprouting. Perhaps when I retire...?