Friday, April 13, 2012

Our Summer Home

Our family has a summer home in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada.  Cape Breton is absolutely beautiful.



I'm so proud of my Scottish heritage.  I spent summers in Cape Breton when I was a kid and loved it.  The old farmhouse has been in our family for generations.


By "family" I mean that my actual family would rather let the house sink into the ground or perhaps burn down than let me near it.  But that's o.k..  I live in hope and I hope to decorate.  Here are some ideas from Pinterest I've collected that are perfect for the old farmhouse summer home...



The house is near the ocean so shells and and clean colors are perfect.


Driftwood.


And more driftwood.


An outdoor shower.


And a bit more driftwood.


Evenings are cool in Cape Breton even during the summer.



A welcoming kitchen.


Stowing the surfboards.


Re- purposing a family heirloom.


Off to Mabou, a nearby village for dinner and Scottish music.

Check out my House in Cape Breton board on Pinterest for my winter ideas for after the summer with the family goes really well...

3 comments:

Linda said...

OH NO...is it that they feel the place is unsafe to live in,... things can be fixed...I would love a place up there... Love Cape Breton... beautiful area...wild is the word that comes to mind...I have some of my Scots ancestors from that area...I think it reminded them of Scotland...
Have a good time there this summer.......:)

Babylon Sisters said...

My ancestors came from Scotland to Cape Breton. This house is on the original land grant they settled on. My relatives there are all older and I don't know what they intend to do with the property. I'm just terrified they will leave it to someone who might sell it out of the family. I think family heritage is priceless!

Dede said...

I totally agree! The land should stay in the family. What a wonderful story that should continue to grow and evolve for many more generations.