Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sewn by Hand

In the seventies we really did patch and embroider our jeans.  They were works of art.  I'm sure not many examples have survived because we wore them out.


I don't think I'd wear them anymore but I have been collecting bits to possibly make some for my shop.  I want to start with some vintage Levi's though and they're not easy to find.


OK, so I lied about that.  I just checked Etsy and found these four pairs of 501's for $15!  Now I'm really excited!  I have so many ideas of how to embellish them...

I've been thinking about embroidery.  I love to sew things by hand and always need to have a 'sitting' project since I can't just sit and do nothing.  I have to at least have my hands busy.  Here are some ideas I found on Pinterest -









All of the embroidery images are from my "Make It" board in Pinterest.  If you go there and click on the pictures you'll come to the original source (hopefully).

Can't wait to get my new old jeans!  Going to dig out my fabric vintage fabric scraps and embroidery floss..

5 comments:

Dina said...

Fun idea! I especially love the Dia de los Muertos skull with the rose.
Back in 1200BC (otherwise known as the 80's), when I was I high school, I used to paint skulls & roses & peace signs & stuff like that on my jeans, jeans jackets, leather jackets, anything that would hold still. I wish I still had those!

Alicia Sotherland said...

I don't know if your as old as I am, but I remember patching my 501's. I remember when the guy I had a crush on asked me to embroider his jeans... sigh... Oh and btw.. I have that book "Hippie" it sits in my living room..I have it photographed on my blog somewhere.. anyway. your post is beautiful today.. love the colors!

Babylon Sisters said...

I painted jeans and jackets too! My sister-in-law painted gorgeous movie star jean jackets - mostly Marilyn Monroe. I still have a tiny one my daughter wore.

Babylon Sisters said...

Oh yes, I patched my Levi's. I remember the cutest guy EVER in our high school had the most beautiful patched jeans...

Linda said...

My word I remember patching mine..in fact I did a pair of overalls one time that came out fabulous!!! I just might have to do another pair!!! Can't wait to see yours...

Got the plaque today and I LOVE it!!! It is just what I was looking for a Pier One frame I have that is molded carved wood...I will post it when I get it together!! The minute I saw it I knew I had to have it...Thanks Mary!!!

((HUGS))))