Thursday, January 5, 2012

Let's OVER-DO It!

A saying that I first heard in New Orleans - of course - that is very near and dear to my heart is "If a thing is worth doing, it's worth over-doing".  Anyone who's been to Mardi Gras will understand this.

Today I'm looking at some of my favorite pictures from Pinterest thinking about this totally charming and over-done kitchen.  If you check out our Babylon Sister's Etsy shop section "Kitschy Kitschy Kitchen" you'll see some great and affordable items to go way too far with decorating your kitchen - in a good way!



Love the modern twist on hanging decorative plates on a wall.  The chrome industrial light aimed at them is genius.  I bought a couple of them at Home Depot - cheap and very useful.  Here are some plates from our shop that would be just the thing to achieve this look -



Mount Clemens China astrological sign plate



handpainted vintage plate - the color of a tequila sunrise!



beautiful floral saucer - love these for candleholders too!



souvenir plate of Jackson Square, New Orleans - so you can try to remember Mardi Gras...



sweet milk glass plate with red roses



 Magnolia Pearl-inspired vintage fabric covered saucer



perhaps the Holy Grail of kitsch - a Graceland souvenir plate

We have a whole section of souvenir plates in our shop called "on the road again".  I know I should quit buying them but I can't help it...their tackiness calls to me!

So, in case you're wondering about the cost of achieving all this fabulousness in your very own home, check out this handy comparison -


yellow birds plate - Anthropologie - $498.



yellow bird plate - Babylon Sisters - $6.



Happy over-doing it! xoxo


2 comments:

Linda said...

LOL love the idea of overdoing it which I tend to do at times...I love that fabric covered saucer...it is gorgeous...

Barbara said...

Love it! When I was a kid in the 70s, I had this psychedelic floral wallpaper and bright colored afghans everywhere. Crazy colors made me feel happy then, and they still do!