Thursday, February 3, 2011

religion

The other thing I don't usually like to get involved in is religion.  I'm all for personal spirituality if you so desire, but religion - not so much.  Here in Houston, Texas it seems you can start your own religion and rent space for it in a strip-mall.  Or build a church big enough for your religion AND a monster truck rally.  Good, I guess, as long as they're all in there learning love and tolerance. 



I was raised Catholic so I'm no amateur when it comes to organized religion.



Irish comedian Dara O'Briain explains it here




I don't really know what the Hare Krishna's religion is about but they always show up at Houston events with vegetarian food which is awesome for someone like me in the land of turkey legs.



And their dancing looks fun.



Anyway, what I've really been thinking about is Buddhism.  Not joining up or anything - but reading.



I'm pretty sure no matter who you are, a little Buddhism wouldn't hurt.  They might not have the answers but they at least know how to relax with the questions. 



It would be good to just get off the hamster wheel for a bit.



So today I think I'll get out my favorite Pema Chodron and just breathe.





No comments: