Monday, January 31, 2011

When in Amsterdam...

I'm going to Amsterdam with my husband at the end of the month and I'm starting to get a bit worried. 


I've been to Amsterdam before but only the airport.  One of the only things I noticed through my haze of jet lag is that everyone was swilling Heineken at 9:00 a.m..  My husband pointed out that since it's an international airport, perhaps it wasn't 9:00 a.m. THEIR TIME.  Fair enough.


My husband is going for a conference so we're staying here.  That raises questions for the non-swimmer right there.



I thought the coffee shops looked really cute.



But then I read that they're not really about the COFFEE.



Unfortunately, I don't smoke.  Anything.



Then there's the "must-see" Red Light District.  I just don't know if I MUST see it.  I get the whole freedom thing but I'm not sure if I'm a FAN of prostitution.  I might like some brothel-inspired decorating if it's tastefully done I suppose.



Tulips are pretty and Spring-y but I can't really bring that many of them on the plane.



My husband has brought wooden shoes home for the kids before.  They call them 'dancing shoes'.  I have wood floors.  I don't want to stifle their creativity and self-expression but no more dancing shoes.



So the hotel is away from the city center a bit but it says there's good public transport.  Hopefully this is not it.  I have nothing to wear on public transport.  (Thanks Patsy and Edina).



There is a famous street market - Albert Cuyp.  That I can do.



I like the look of the canals and boats.  I'd have no problem trying to peek in the windows of these house-boats all day.



Luckily, the Dutch being, well, Dutch, have more art than you can shake a stick at.



Art it is then...

No comments: