Friday, November 19, 2010

Miller's Residence London UK

I was browsing through some beautiful bedrooms at The Paris Apartment and came across one that looked familiar.  I realized I had slept in that room!  This is not something that happens often when I'm looking at fantastic decorating blogs.  LOOK!



It's the William Blake room at Miller's Residence in London.  My husband and I stayed there a few years ago on a trip to England.  I had booked it on-line not knowing much more than it looked cool and bohemian and was in the area we wanted to be - Notting Hill, I think.  The rooms, only about 6 or so, were all named after romantic poets. 

I remember we arrived quite exhausted lugging huge suitcases after much parking drama.  I had called ahead to ask if there was parking and the guy on the phone thought that was really funny.  It was a non-descript red door on a side street so you'd never know it was there if you weren't looking.  We had to carry our suitcases up a very long staircase. A long, fabulous, antique- filled staircase! I was in maximalist heaven! 



This is the main room where guests can just hang out.  Breakfast is also served here.   When I asked for a glass of wine, the Millers handed me a lovely bottle and a bucket of ice - my kind of people!

Sadly, the web site says they're closed for major refurbishments.  I don't know how they could possible improve it.  Here are a couple of the other guest rooms -








Definitely NOT the Holiday Inn.  I hope they re-open because I'd love to go back.  They even had their own Miller's gin in tiny little bottles - so English!


3 comments:

Amy Higgins said...

i came across your blog while searching for info on miller's residence. i had to giggle when i read your post. i saw the same picture on pinterest and recognized the room. we stayed in the room that's last in your pictures in april 2010. i absolutely adored the place and all of it's quirky treasures, and hoped to stay there again someday. unfortunately, it's closed. here's where i read about the closure:

http://www.martinmiller.co.uk/about.htm

wish it said more.

take care,
amy

Amy Higgins said...

i came across your blog while searching for info on miller's residence. i had to giggle when i read your post. i saw the same picture on pinterest and recognized the room. we stayed in the room that's last in your pictures in april 2010. i absolutely adored the place and all of it's quirky treasures, and hoped to stay there again someday. unfortunately, it's closed. here's where i read about the closure:

http://www.martinmiller.co.uk/about.htm

wish it said more.

take care,
amy

Babylon Sisters said...

I know! They're awesome! My husband is from England so we go quite a bit. Hoping to find another Millers's inn!