Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Hippies Were Right About Food

Just a quick note about yet another way 'the hippies were right'.  Vegan, vegetarian, organic, local, non-processed...  I think you know where I'm going with this.  Here are three recipes from three classic hippie cookbooks that still have great and usable ideas.




From  "The Vegetarian Epicure" by Anna Thomas.  A little pricey on Amazon but you will still find it at thrift and used book stores.  Dark and evil mushrooms?  Who could resist?



The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook (Edited by Louise Hagler).  Some easy recipes, some for the serious do-it-yourselfer.  Like Soysage Dogs or Soy Pulp Cookies (using the pulp left over from making your own soymilk, of course).  Would even Martha attempt such a thing?





Diet for a Small Planet by Frances Moore Lappe.  My second copy is now falling apart.  The complementary protein idea seems a bit dated and it is heavy on dairy but still so inspiring.  I was lucky enough to meet her at a book signing - one of my vegetarian heros!

2 comments:

Michele Wilde said...

I know this was originally posted in 2010, I just found it scrolling through your site. Love it. (Like everything else on your site). Diet for and Recipes for a Small Planet were my first vegetarian cookbooks. My then husband was the taster/tester. I would cook and he played guitar. We were so sweet. Love the memories of all these cookbooks!

Babylon Sisters said...

They were my first vegetarian cookbooks too. Thanks so much for your lovely comments!